Dr Rajasekaran has been instrumental in building and shaping the orthopaedic department into a very busy clinical unit with strong academic and research components. He had a brilliant academic career and was the ‘Best outgoing student’ of Coimbatore Medical College and stood first in the University of Madras in the orthopaedic postgraduate examinations. He was awarded the Khazenifer Gold Medal and Norman Roberts Medal for best performance during his M.Ch exams in Liverpool, UK. He completed his Ph.D in 2000. He has special interest in spine surgery, arthroplasty and clinical research in major trauma. He has led the unit’s basic science research in spinal deformities, disc nutrition and biology and genetics of disc degeneration which have been recognised with numerous awards and published in international journals. He was also instrumental in the evolution of ‘Ganga Hospital Open Injury Severity Score’ which guides critical decisions in saving and reconstructing severely injured limbs.
- Chairman, Dept of Orthopaedics & Spine Surgery
- Adjunct Professor, The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University.
- Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2011 - 12
- President-Elect, SICOT
- Chair - International Research Commission, AOSpine President Indian Orthopaedic Association
- Past President, Association of Spine Surgeons of India, 2008 - 12.
- Past President, International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine (ISSLS), Canada, 2011- 12
- Past President, Indian Orthopaedic Association,2012
- Past President, Tamilnadu Orthopaedic Association, 2012
- Walter P. Blount Humanitarian Award, Scoliosis Research Society, USA -2015
- ISSLS Spine Research Award 2012, 2010, 2004
- EuroSpine Open Paper Award 2008
- Honorary Fellowship, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2010
- ISSLS Macnab La Rocca Award 2005, 2014
- ISSLS Sofamer Danek Award 1996, 2002, 2006
- Harvard Medical International Award, 2007
- Golden Jubilee Research Award IOA 2010
- MCI Silver Jubilee Research Award 2002
- Tamilnadu Government Scientist Award 2000
- ASSI Research Awards 2005,06,07,08,09,10,14
- ASSI Publication Award 2013,2014
- ASI Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Award 2004
- Chief Editor, ASSI Textbook of Spinal Infections & Trauma
- Chief Editor, Video Atlas of Spine Surgery
- European Spine Journal - Editorial Board Member.
- Spine - Deputy Editor.
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery(B)-Editorial Member.
- Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hong Kong.
- Journal of Orthopaedic Science, Japan.