Dr. P. Dhanasekara Raja D Orth, DNB Orth, DTB(Sing), is a Consultant and Joint Replacement Surgeon and performs primary & revision joint replacement procedures. After his basic training in orthopaedics he has completed Fellowships in Arthroplasty and Arthroscopy at Adelaide & Sydney, Australia and Hospital for Special Surgery, NewYork, USA and was the APOA Travelling Clinical Arthroplasty Fellow in 2010. He did his Diploma in Tissue banking from the National University of Singapore. He under the guidance of Prof S Rajasekaran was instrumental in the formation of separate joint replacement unit in 2004 and its rapid growth into a busy unit performing more than 1000 joints per year. He has been a consultant surgeon since 2006. He has done various clinical research works in joint replacement and has won various awards for the research presentations at various meetings. He has been an invited faculty at various meetings. He is the co-author of many publications in peer reviewed journals and textbook chapter. He is specialized in Joint replacement Surgery which includes: Primary knee replacement, Primary hip replacement, Revision knee replacement, Revision hip replacement.
- D Orth, DNB Orthopaedics, DTB(Sing)
- Fellowship training in joint replacement( USA & Australia)
- Life Member Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association.
- Life Member of Indian Society Hip and Knee Surgeons.
- Life Member of World Orthopaedic Concern.
- Life Member of Indian Orthopaedic Association.
- Life Member of Coimbatore Orthopaedic Association
- Life Member Indian Arthroplasty Association
- Life member SICOT
- Executive Council Member of Indian Arthroplasty Association 2013-14
- Reviewer BMC Journal of Musculoskeletal Disorder
- Best poster award, Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Annual Conference, 7th-9th Feb., Kodaikanal, 2003. “Turn graft arthrodesis of knee with long intramedullary nail”.
- Winner, Orthopaedic Quiz program, Madras Orthopaedic Course, 2003, Government Royapettah Hospital, Chennai.
- Winner, Orthopaedic Quiz program, Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Assosciation Annual Conference, 7th-9th Feb 2004, Kanyakumari.
- Best paper award in free paper category, Indian Arthroplasty Association Mid term meet, Madurai, November 2004. “Analysis of Outcome of total Knee replacement in Varus knees”
- Prof Mohandass Weller Gold Medal for the best paper award in Indian section, Indo German Orthopaedic Foundation Seminar, November, 2005. “Total knee replacement in varus knees with and without navigation”
- Distinction in NUS/IAEA “Diploma in Tissue banking” exam, August, 2008, National University of Singapore.
- Prof. Vyageshwarudu Gold Medal for best paper presentation at TNOACON, February 2009, Coimbatore. “Comparison of limb and component alignment in knees with varus ≥15°: A Prospective Randomized Study Of 86 Knees using navigation”
- Prof. M. Ramanathan Gold Medal for Consultant at TNOACON 2010 Feb, 14, 2010 for the presentation titled, “Coronal Plane Osteometry of South Indian Patients with Arthritic Knees– Clinical Implications in Distal Femoral Cut during Total knee Arthroplasty”.
- Prof. M. Ramanathan Gold Medal for Consultant at TNOACON 2012 Feb, 14, 2012 for the presentation titled, “Treatment of prosthetic infection by 2 stage revision with articulating cement spacers – A midterm follow up study.”
- “Most difficult case management- Hip replacement”, Best case presentation at Indian Arthroplasty Association Annual Meet, Jaipur, 2013 “Infection complicating metal on metal THR with metal hypersensitivity”.
Text book Chapter:
“Tibial Shaft fractures” in Textbook of Orthopaedic Surgery, by Dr. G.S. Kulkarni, Dr S Rajasekaran, Dr P Dhanasekararaja, Dr S R Sundararajan.
- “Correcting fixed varus deformity with flexion contracture during total knee arthroplasty: the "inside-out" technique: AAOS exhibit selection”. Meftah M, Blum YC, Raja D, Ranawat AS, Ranawat CS. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 May 16; 94(10):e66.
- “Spontaneous complete recovery of paraplegia caused by epidural hematoma complicating epidural anesthesia: a case report and review of literature.” SreeHarsha CK, Rajasekaran S, Dhanasekararaja P , Spinal Cord. 2006 Aug; 44(8):514-7.2005 Nov 29
- “Congenital pseudarthrosis of the ulna” Durga Nagaraju K, Vidyadhara S, Raja D,Rajasekaran S. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2007 Mar; 16(2):150-2.
- “Successful surgical excision of Heterotopic ossification of hip with extra articular ankylosis in a rare case of moyamoya disease” Dhanasekararaja P, Rajasekaran. S, Arun J, Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, Volume 46, Issue 6, November December, 2012, p.714.
- “Incidence and Impact of Low back pain and lumbar spine disorders in patients undergoing total knee replacement” Dr Harsha G, Dr. P. Dhanasekararaja Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, Supplement December 2014.
- “Outcome of total knee replacement in Varus knees: The role of soft tissue release in restoring alignment and function”, Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol.30, p.76, 2004
- “Critical analysis of prosthetic component placement in joint replacement done with navigation assistance compared to conventional jig based technique” Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol.31, p.62, 2005
- “Comparision of limb and component alignment in knees with varus 15°: A Prospective Randomized Study Of 86 Knees using navigation” Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol. 36. p.13 to 22.
- “Coronal Plane Osteometry of Indian Patients with Arthritic Knees – Clinical Implications during Total knee Arthroplasty” Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol 38.
- “Treatment of prosthetic infection by 2 stage revision with articulating cement spacers – A midterm follow up study.” Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol 40.
- “ Total hip replacement in active tuberculosis” Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol 43.
- “ Role of tranexamic acid in reducing the blood loss in TKR” Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal, Vol 43.
Live surgical demonstration
- 3 rd Ganga Operative Trauma Course 2014 in Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore from June 27-29, 2014. Live surgical demonstration of trochanteric fracture with subtrochanteric extension: Reduction & fixation with circleage wire & AO AFN
- 6th Ganga Operative Arthroplasty Course 2015 at Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, 9th- 12th, July, 2015. Live surgical demonstration of “ Primary Uncemented Total hip replacement”.
58 podium presentations both national & international