Dr Ajoy Shetty is the senior consultant in spine surgery in the department of orthopaedics. He joined the department in 1994 and became a consultant in 2000. After initial training in Orthopaedics at Bangalore Medical College, he had advanced training in Spine Surgery at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, Australia. He was the Organising Secretary for the APOA Operative Spine Course in 2007. He is a regular faculty at AO Spine Courses and was awarded the ISSLS International Fellowship for the year 2007. He is also the co-author of the scientific papers which won the ISSLS Prize 2004 and EuroSpine Award 2008. He has special interests in complex paediatric and adult spinal deformities.
- M.S.(Orthopaedics)., D.N.B.(Orthopaedics)
- AO Spine – Silver Member & AO spine India Council Member
- World Orthopaedic Concern – Life Member
- Indo German Orthopaedic Foundation – Life Member
- Association of Spine Surgeons of India – Life Member
- Indian Orthopaedic Association – Life Member
- Tamilnadu Orthopaedic Association – Life Member
- Indian Medical Association – Life Member
- Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Assocation – Life member
- 3rd Rank in Final Year M.B.B.S 1989, Mysore University, India
- Prof. T K Shanmughasundaram Gold Medal for best paper in TNOA, Madras, 1996Topic : "Management of Upper Limb Monomelic Compound Injuries with Neurovascular Problems"
- ‘ISSLS- Sofamer Danek Award’ for “Best Clinical Research Paper” International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine.Annual meeting, Singapore. 1996.Topic : “Tuberculosis Lesions Of The Lumbosacral Region - A 15 Year Follow Up Of Patients Treated By Ambulant Chemotherapy“. Dr S Rajasekaran, Dr J Dheenadhayalan, Dr Ajoy Prasad Shetty
- ‘ISSLS- Sofamer Danek Award’ for “Best Clinical Research Paper” International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine, Annual meeting at Cleveland, USA. May 14-18, 2002Topic : “Biomechanical analysis of buckling collapse in childhood spinal Tuberculosis” Dr S Rajasekaran, Dr J Dheenadhayalan, Dr Ajoy Prasad Shetty
- Best Poster award -Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, TNOA 2003.Topic: Resection Arthodesis of knee with long intermedullary Dr. S.Rajasekaran, Dr.Dhanasekara Raja Dr. J. Dheenadhayalan, Dr.Ajoy Prasad Shetty.
- Best Scientific Research Presentation of Session Award Indian Orthopaedic Association-Trauma Session IOACON 2003Topic: Primary Closure in Open Injuries Of the Limbs-The Role and Safety. Dr. J. Naresh Babu, Dr.S. Rajasekaran, Dr.Krishna Kumar, Dr.J. Dheenadhayalan, Dr.Ajoy Prasad Shetty, Dr.S.Raja Sabapathy.
- "K. P. Shrivatsava Gold Medal" Indian Orthopaedic Association for best poster presentationTopic: Outcome of skeletal fixation in major upper limb replantation Dr. B. C Bhanuprakash, Dr. S. Rajasekaran, Dr. Ajoy Prasad Shetty, Dr. Harivenkataramani, Dr. S. Raja Sabapathy.
- ‘ISSLS Prize for Lumbar Spine Research 2004’ Spine Research AwardTopic: A Study of Diffusion in Human Lumbar Discs – A serial MRI study documenting the influence of the endplate on diffusion in normal and degenerate discs”
- “Brit-Spine Award” Best Basic Science Research Presentation Award Nottingham, England, Brit Spine 2004. Annual Conference of Britspine, Brit Spine- Nottingham, England, The third Combined Meeting of British Scoliosis Society, British Cervical Spine Society, Society for Back Pain Research, British Association of Spinal Surgeons, British Association for Spinal Cord Injury.Topic: Normal diffusion pattern on human lumber Discs. Dr. R.Arun, Dr. S. Rajasekaran, Dr. J. Naresh Babu, Dr. BRW. Armstrong, Dr. Ajoy Prasad Shetty, Dr. K. S. Murugan
- Macnab LaRocca Research Award for the year 2005 International Society for Study on Lumbar Spine (ISSLS) CanadaTopic: “A Finite Element Model analysis of the alterations in load pathways following destructive lesions of the growing spine”. Dr S Rajasekaran, Dr Ajoy Prasad Shetty, Dr Naresh Babu & Dr Thomas J. Kishen
- Dr. Ingalhalikar Gold Medal for Best Paper presentation 2005, ASSICON 2006. Chandigarh ,February 2006Topic: A randomized control clinical study to compare the accuracy of navigated and non-navigated thoracic pedicle screw insertion in deformity correction surgeries. Dr S Rajasekaran, Dr S Vidyadhara, Dr P Ramesh, Dr Ajoy P Shetty.
- “Sofamor-Danek Award, ISSLS 2006”\ ISSLS nternational Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine) Annual Meeting in Bergen Norway, 13-17 June 2006.Topic: For the best podium presentation for the paper on 'Diffusion of human lumbar intravertebral discs can be enhanced harmacologically with oral nimodipine' Dr S Rajasekaran, Dr J Naresh Babu, Dr K Murugan, Dr Ajoy Prasad Shetty,
- “Gold medal for Best Scientific podium presentation” International Conference on Spinal Deformities, Oct 2007, New Delhi.Topic: “Iso-C Navigation in deformity surgery of Spine,” Dr Vijay Kamath, Dr Ajoy Prasad Shetty, Dr S Rajasekaran,
- “ISSLS International Fellowship Award 2007” Attend the Meeting of ISSLS in Hong Kong 2007.Topic: Dr Ajoy Prasad Shetty
- “Eurospine Open Paper Award : 2008”Topic: “Pharmacological enhancement of disc nutrition and differentiation of healthy, ageing and degenerated discs Results from serial post-contrast MRI studies in 365 human lumbar discs” Dr. S. Rajasekaran, Dr. Venkatadass, Dr. J. Naresh Babu, K. Ganesh, Dr. Ajoy P Shetty.
- ‘ISSLS Prize‘ for Best Spine Research in Basic Science for the 2010 for the research work submitted This award was given during the Annual Meeting of ISSLS (International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine) held in Auckland, New Zeland from April 13-17, 2010.Topic: ‘A study of effects of in vivo mechanical forces on human lumbar discs with scoliotic disc as a biological model. Results from serial post-contrast diffusion studies, histopathological and biomechanical analysis of 21 human lumbar scoliotic discs’ S Rajasekaran , S Vidyadhara. M Subbiah, V Kamath, R Karunanithi, A Shetty, K Venkateswaran, M Babu, J Meenakshi
- Consultant Medal Paper February 2011, TNOA, Madurai.Topic: Minimally Invasive Pelvic Fracture Fixation, Role of CT Based Pelvic Morphometry and Use of Ball Probe
- Rallan Gold Medal for Basic Science IOA 2011, Noida December 8-11
Topic: Disc prolapse results from endplate failure rather than rupture of annulus fibrosus - comprehensive clinical, radiological, histopathological and intraoperative microscopic analysis of 147 lumbar disc herniations Ajoy .P. Shetty , Nipun Bajaj, S.Rajasekaran
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty. The Cervical Spine – Turek’s Textbook of Orthopaedics, Under print
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty. Evidence Based Medicine. AO Spine textbook on Research, Under print
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty. Geriatric Thoracolumbar and Sacral Fractures. Textbook on Geriatric Trauma. Under print
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty. Thoracolumbar Sacral Fractures,. Texbook on Musculoskeletal Trauma in the Elderly. ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty. Pediatric Spinal infections. The Growing Spine – 2nd Edition. Accepted for Publication 2014
- Ajoy Prasad Shetty, Vishnu Prasad, Rishi M Kanna, S Rajasekaran, Cervical Corpectomy Tips and Tricks, Modern Techniques in Spine Surgery, Jaypee Publications 2014
TEXTBOOK CHAPTER PUBLISHED IN
Basic Sciences of Spinal Diseases [Published by Jaypee Brothers], 2013
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi M Kanna, Ajoy P Shetty. Vascular Anatomy of the Endplates and Nutrient Supply of the Disc, Textbook on Basic Sciences of Spinal Diseases edited by Dr Alok D Sharan, Dr Simon Y Tang, Dr Alexander R Vaccaro (Foreword by Jeffrey C Wang, Ashwini Sharan, Kenneth MC Cheung) Published by JAYPEE. Pg No.15-26, 2013
Contemporary Surgical Management of Fractures & Complications
Published by Jaypee Brothers], 2013
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi M Kanna, Ajoy P Shetty Cervical Spine Fractures and Dislocations. Vol 1: Upper Extremity and Spine. Contemporary Surgical Management of Fractures & Complications edited by Dr Asif Ilyas, Dr Saqib Rehman (Foreword – Dr Jesse B Jupiter). Published by JAYPEE Pg No. 378-446,2013
- S Rajasekaran, Rishi M Kanna, Ajoy P Shetty, Thoracic and Lumbar Spine Fractures and Dislocations. Vol 1: Upper Extremity and Spine. Contemporary Surgical Management of Fractures & Complications edited by Dr Asif Ilyas, Saqib Rehman (Foreword – Jesse B Jupiter). Published by JAYPEE. Pg No.447-494, 2013
TEXTBOOK CHAPTERS PUBLISHED IN
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery – Techniques, Evidence and Controversies (AOSpine) [Published by Thieme], 2012
- S Rajasekaran, G Balamurali, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty. Microsurgical Lumbar Disc Surgery, Textbook on Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery – Techniques, Evidence and Controversies ( AOSpine), Pg No.289-314, 2012
TEXTBOOK CHAPTERS PUBLISHED IN MERCER’S TEXTBOOK OF ORTHOPAEDICS AND TRAUMA TENTH EDITION
- Rajasekaran S, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty.Spinal Fractures.Mercer’s Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Tenth Edition, Pg No.439-466,2012
- Rajasekaran S, Rishi Mugesh Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty.Spinal Infections.Mercer’s Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Tenth Edition, Pg No.982-992, 2012